New York’s pop/rock musician TRISTN is prepping to release her new album titled January in the hot hot heat of the summertime. As she gets ready for that big feat, she’s actually ready to share the next single, an upbeat track entitled “Sky Wide Open”. A track that addresses the issue of selective sight – or choosing how you view the world instead of seeing it for what it is is -, “Sky Wide Open” drops some lyrical knowledge with TRISTN’s signature light as a feather vocals. You can’t help but bob your head and tap your feet – as cliche as all of that seems – as she implores you to “open your eyes” repeatedly so you can “see the sky wide open.” She doesn’t have to convince us.
TRISTN had quite a bit to say about the track itself:
“Sky Wide Open” was originally written for a friend of mine. At the time, he had a hard time realizing the few good things in his life. (He didn’t believe me much, hence the chorus lyrics.) This song is a reminder to look up every once in a while, we’d realize that there is an open sky everyday even when everything is closing in. After I finished writing the song (3 hours), Steve and I produced the whole track in one session (8 hours) We had one simple goal, to make a song that gets us out of bed and up into an open sky. (The entire production took 22 hours from the first word to the finished track.)
In honor of the release of “Sky Wide Open”, TRISTN threw together a playlist – and some original artwork – exclusively for Impose.
“To The Wonderland” Playlist
1. All American Rejects – Move Along
– Inspiring and fun, I can listen to this every morning
2. Shiny Toy Guns – Starts With One
– Instrument choice, arrangement and composition
3. Alessia Cara – Seventeen
– Youthful atmosphere with a story that is relatable
4. Alesso – Sweet Escape
– Bright and hopeful, also a great vocal mix
5. Yellowcard – Transmission Home
– Lyrical content and instrument sound, very anthemic
6. Dragonette – Let the night fall
– Relaxing and grooving at the same time, focusing on song structure
7. Metric – Breathing Underwater
– Learning synth sounds that go along with soft female vocals
8. Lorde – Buzzcut Season
– Adding the twinkle perspective (and sound) while talking about a horrible situation, lyrics and melody
9. Skylar Grey/Eminem – C’mon let me ride
– Just a very well written and produced song, super funny!
10. The Naked and Famous – No Way
– Instrumentally driven, Great electric guitar + vocals mix.
Keep up with TRISTN here.